1. "Kokomo" - The Beach Boyshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG9XfJxMY8A
6. "Iris" - Goo Goo Dolls
6. "Iris" - Goo Goo Dolls
10. "For Good" - Wicked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ
These 10 songs have a certain level of significance to me because they symbolize a certain memory or important time growing up. I first encountered these songs either through a friend or on the radio. The only exception to this would be the song "For Good" because I heard it in Chicago, Illinois last spring with my music department at the play "Wicked" at the Chicago theatre. Also the first 5 songs in my list came in the earlier part of my life, whereas the last half came about when I was in early adulthood or high school years. Life got tough and so did relationships in level of complexity. Change was a major part of high school and also happy life-long memories. I was changed by a few people during high school and these people will always be remembered if I never see them again.
As for choosing the songs on the soundtrack, it was challenging to narrow down which songs are the most significant to me because music is such a big part of my life. I live it, breath it, and feel it. The mix reflects who I am fairly clearly. My review from a fellow classmate declared that "The songs are too varied to get a clear view on other subcultures she belongs to. More than likely she had someone disappoint or let her down because several songs are about breakups or let downs. Friendship is very important to her." From this, my sense of self is seen in my song choice. I went through tough times finding myself, accepting change, and learning from heartbreak. Friendship became very important to me and I became a sensitive person. The song "For Good" was during my senior year for the Chicago trip. We sat at the theatre and I thought of all of the people who I've been part of a community at school with (and teachers) who have made me who I am today. There are those who do not matter, as I have learned, but for those who made a difference in my life I am truly greatful for them. And I will miss them. I sat at the theatre crying next to my best guy friend who happened to be a foreign exchange student from Bangladesh. I feared the change to come, where we wouldn't be able to hang out or talk as easily because he would be leaving to go back to his home country. The questions raced through my head during this song. Who will I become? Will I miss my friends? Will I be strong during yet more change? I will miss all of this I thought. As for the subcultures, I don't find myself belonging to any of them but music culture, because that is what means the most in my life.
Others would see that I am a sensitive, caring friend who has undergone change and good times and appreciates family and the love of her life. People can see this as my character is transparent in this mix, however as the classmate said before, that others would have trouble finding which subcultures I belong to.
My mix also belongs to a larger scope, connecting others in meaningful lyrics and popular songs. It connects the youth and people from my generation through the genres of music and the love of music. This love is demonstrated here at UWEC, for the countless music organizations, ensembles, bands, orchestras, choirs, and people appreciative of music.
The person saw my love for music quite easily, however when judging another's choice of music, it was a little more difficult to judge. For the most part I judged correctly, his outfit and hangout activities for Friday night were correctly judged, however I saw him more of a sensitive guy who played the guitar and had an appreciation for alternative rock genre. I saw him get his paper back and his puzzled look like "I don't play guitar, she has me all wrong." However I did make the comment that I find alternative a good genre to follow as I listen to it as well. I listen to all types of music genres, and that is why it is hard to judge a person's character by their soundtrack. We each have different life experiences and groups of friends and levels of influence by the media. We are all different!
These 10 songs have a certain level of significance to me because they symbolize a certain memory or important time growing up. I first encountered these songs either through a friend or on the radio. The only exception to this would be the song "For Good" because I heard it in Chicago, Illinois last spring with my music department at the play "Wicked" at the Chicago theatre. Also the first 5 songs in my list came in the earlier part of my life, whereas the last half came about when I was in early adulthood or high school years. Life got tough and so did relationships in level of complexity. Change was a major part of high school and also happy life-long memories. I was changed by a few people during high school and these people will always be remembered if I never see them again.
As for choosing the songs on the soundtrack, it was challenging to narrow down which songs are the most significant to me because music is such a big part of my life. I live it, breath it, and feel it. The mix reflects who I am fairly clearly. My review from a fellow classmate declared that "The songs are too varied to get a clear view on other subcultures she belongs to. More than likely she had someone disappoint or let her down because several songs are about breakups or let downs. Friendship is very important to her." From this, my sense of self is seen in my song choice. I went through tough times finding myself, accepting change, and learning from heartbreak. Friendship became very important to me and I became a sensitive person. The song "For Good" was during my senior year for the Chicago trip. We sat at the theatre and I thought of all of the people who I've been part of a community at school with (and teachers) who have made me who I am today. There are those who do not matter, as I have learned, but for those who made a difference in my life I am truly greatful for them. And I will miss them. I sat at the theatre crying next to my best guy friend who happened to be a foreign exchange student from Bangladesh. I feared the change to come, where we wouldn't be able to hang out or talk as easily because he would be leaving to go back to his home country. The questions raced through my head during this song. Who will I become? Will I miss my friends? Will I be strong during yet more change? I will miss all of this I thought. As for the subcultures, I don't find myself belonging to any of them but music culture, because that is what means the most in my life.
Others would see that I am a sensitive, caring friend who has undergone change and good times and appreciates family and the love of her life. People can see this as my character is transparent in this mix, however as the classmate said before, that others would have trouble finding which subcultures I belong to.
My mix also belongs to a larger scope, connecting others in meaningful lyrics and popular songs. It connects the youth and people from my generation through the genres of music and the love of music. This love is demonstrated here at UWEC, for the countless music organizations, ensembles, bands, orchestras, choirs, and people appreciative of music.
The person saw my love for music quite easily, however when judging another's choice of music, it was a little more difficult to judge. For the most part I judged correctly, his outfit and hangout activities for Friday night were correctly judged, however I saw him more of a sensitive guy who played the guitar and had an appreciation for alternative rock genre. I saw him get his paper back and his puzzled look like "I don't play guitar, she has me all wrong." However I did make the comment that I find alternative a good genre to follow as I listen to it as well. I listen to all types of music genres, and that is why it is hard to judge a person's character by their soundtrack. We each have different life experiences and groups of friends and levels of influence by the media. We are all different!
No comments:
Post a Comment