skip to main |
skip to sidebar
"The Experiment"
When deciding what to wear for this clothing experiment in enlgish, I set boundaries of what I couldn't possibly be seen wearing in public, then pushed that boundary only slightly. Bikinis are acceptable on public beaches, and casual wear is accepted most definitely in public, so I paired them up in a slightly ridiculous outfit. I also had put on a pair of leggings with the bikini bottoms over the top, however when thinking that I couldn't possibly get myself to walk down the hill in all silliness, I put a pear of sweats over the top. That would have pushed my limits. It was easier to approach people I knew based on their acceptance of me and their acceptance of the reason why I was wearing this. When approaching strangers, my sweater would be zipped slightly to hide partially the strange outfit. Approaching strangers was difficult because of harsh judgement. Although it was difficult, i sat amongst 260 students in lecture hall where I went unnoticed, which benefited me greatly. I wasn't treated differently by my professors because I never was one-on-one with any of them, however eating breakfast with my friends invoked a few comments on the basis of "um... explain why you're wearing a bikini?" But my peers were not harsh and they didn't shun me! I explained that it was for a social experiment in my english class. The outfit was only commented upon by my peers during breakfast time as I remained anonymous in my last class of the day. Overall this experiment showed me that "clothes do make the person" however friends will not judge you in the same way that strangers do. Friends are more accepting and see you for who you are. I know that this experiment has contradicted my side of the mini-essay, however I still stand by my opinion as I don't judge people upon their appearances alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment